As lead trial counsel for Boston Scientific, Mr. Bondor won a judgment of more than $42 million against Johnson & Johnson’s subsidiary Cordis Corporation in a patent infringement case involving coronary stents. The jury’s favorable verdict followed several significant pre-trial victories for Boston Scientific, in which Mr. Bondor obtained summary judgment of infringement against Cordis, and summary judgment that Cordis’s patent infringement was willful. After trial, Mr. Bondor also won an award of enhanced damages and pre-judgment interest, leading the court to double the damages in the case. In addition, in place of an injunction forbidding further sales, the Court also awarded Boston Scientific a 32% on-going royalty covering all post-trial sales of Cordis's infringing Cypher® stents.
In recent years, Mr. Bondor and others from Desmarais LLP won a record-setting $1.54 billion jury verdict on behalf of Lucent Technologies against software giant Microsoft Corporation—a result widely reported at the time as the largest patent jury verdict in history. In another patent infringement jury trial, also on behalf of Lucent Technologies against Microsoft, Mr. Bondor and others from Desmarais LLP won a favorable jury verdict and judgment totaling $512 million, at the time one of the top five largest patent verdicts in history.
Mr. Bondor's trial and litigation experience spans a wide range of industries, including medical devices (particularly those related to interventional cardiology and advanced wound treatment), semiconductor processing, computer memory design, voice-over-IP technology, computer software (including search engine technology, software for the optimization of cellular telephone networks, web-related software, and software for automated control systems), as well as other technologies ranging from battery systems for hybrid electric vehicles to offset printing presses and body armor.
In addition to his trial work, Mr. Bondor has conducted patent validity and infringement assessments, coordinated clients' efforts in multinational patent disputes, as well as litigated unfair competition, trade secret, trademark, and design patent matters. Mr. Bondor also has considerable experience addressing the complexities of multinational patent litigation, particularly in Western Europe. He has worked closely with local counsel in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Belgium, Sweden, Spain, Italy, and Canada, both prosecuting and defending actions related to patent infringement and validity in those countries. In the course of those proceedings, Mr. Bondor has participated in trials before the district and appeal courts of the Netherlands, proceedings before the German Landgerichte (German regional courts), the Bundespatentgericht (the German Federal Patent Court), the Bundesgerichthof (the German Supreme Court), as well as trial before the High Court and Court of Appeal in London.
Immediately after law school, Mr. Bondor served as a law clerk to the Honorable Louis L. Stanton in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. His first-hand experience of federal litigation from the court's perspective, and especially his participation in the court's decision-making process, furnished him with a unique perspective on federal litigation that continues to influence his interactions with judges and judicial staff.
- Partner, Kirkland & Ellis LLP, New York, New York, 2004-2011
- Partner, Kenyon & Kenyon, New York, New York, 2001-2003
- Associate, Kenyon & Kenyon, New York, New York, 1995-2001
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1995
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1995
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 2003
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2006
Memberships & Affiliations
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Asset Management, IAM Patent 1000, Leading Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer
- Chambers USA, Leading Lawyer - New York Intellectual Property Patent Litigation
- Managing Intellectual Property Magazine, IP STARS, Leading Patent Litigation Lawyer
- Listed in Euromoney's "Guide to the World's Leading Patent Law Experts."
Clerk & Government Experience
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Louis L. Stanton, U.S.D.J., United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1993-1995