Edward Geist’s practice focuses on patent disputes in federal district and appellate court. Mr. Geist has participated in all phases of litigation in cases relating to a wide range of technical subject matters, including image sensors, VoIP telephony, network switching equipment, network security, web applications, software development tools, mesh networking, data encryption, and consumer electronics. He represents clients in both offensive and defensive litigation.
Mr. Geist has experience managing all pre-trial aspects of patent litigations. For example, he has led pre-suit investigations, conducted fact and expert discovery, and guided cases through summary judgment and Daubert briefing. He has also argued in federal courts around the country, including in Markman hearings and for dispositive motions.
Mr. Geist’s technical background includes a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics with a concentration in Computer Science, and a master’s degree in Computer Science with a focus on Network Security. Prior to his legal career, Mr. Geist was a software engineer focusing on development of a large-scale web-based financial application and associated client applications at Capital IQ, a division of S&P Global Inc.
- Represented IBM in patent infringement litigation against Groupon involving web applications, resulting in a verdict of willful infringement and an award of $82.5 million.
- Represented Intellectual Ventures against Canon in patent infringement litigation involving digital camera technology.
- Represented Cisco Systems, Inc., ARRIS, Time Warner Cable, and several other entities in patent infringement actions involving 29 patents asserted by the non-practicing entity Rockstar.
- Represented Round Rock Research LLC in several patent infringement actions involving semiconductors, data storage, computer hardware, and computer software.
- Represented MobileMedia Ideas LLC in an infringement action involving mobile phone technology.
- Represented Cisco Systems, Inc. against VirnetX Inc. in patent infringement litigation involving virtual private network technology.
- “Desmarais LLP Secures $82.5M Patent Win for IBM Over Groupon at Trial” – Firm News, July 27, 2018 – Edward Geist was a member of the Desmarais LLP team that successfully represented IBM at trial in Delaware federal district court.
- “Intellectual Ventures I LLC et al. v. Canon Inc. et al.” – Firm News, May 12, 2014 – Edward Geist was part of the Desmarais LLP team that secured a trial win for Intellectual Ventures when a federal jury found that Canon's digital cameras infringed two Intellectual Ventures patents.
- “VirnetX, Inc. et al. v. Cisco Systems, Inc.” – Firm News, March 2013 – Edward Geist was part of the Desmarais LLP team that successfully defended Cisco Systems in a patent infringement lawsuit in federal court in the Eastern District of Texas. The trial resulted in a complete defense jury verdict for Cisco of noninfringement on four VirnetX patents.